Happy Birthday Paul Rand


Today is Paul Rand's birthday, and so I wanted to honor his memory with a blog post. He is one of my personal design heroes, and I was introduced to him by one of my favorite design professors, and someone I would classify as a mentor, which makes it even more special. 

If you are not familiar with his name, you are surely familiar with his work. He is most notably recognized for his logo design. As you can see above, he created the logos for many brands that exist today, and some that do not, can anyone say Enron?

He was a man ahead of his time, and shaped the industry tremendously. If you have time I highly suggest looking him up, and if you are really interested in his work I suggest reading one of his essays on design thinking, which can be found at his personal website paul-rand.com

p.s. My design mentor had the honor of being his student at Yale, while getting her graduate degree in design. She has many great stories about him, including some scary one on one critiques, but my favorite is a story about a time when she asked him how he had managed to create so many successful designs, to which he laughed and said "I fail more often than I succeed. You should see what is under my bed."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...